Sunday, January 25, 2009

Stores I Enjoy

Okay, so, very random on that first bit. I figure NOW would be a good time to actually go into what stores I enjoy shopping at, being a big girl and all. Normal stores don't really cut it, so here's where I end up shopping at:

We'll start off with....

1) Torrid

The first store I really, really discovered with clothes designed just for ME! (Also the first store I walked into and tried stuff on and was amazed that clothes exist which didn't fit me, but in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION!! (in that, they were too big) O.O Who woulda known?!?! Seriously!)

Here are some items I am gushing about from there:



Gripes:


With the pants: seriously. W. T. F!?!??!?!O.o!!O.O!!o.O!!! Torrid: the 90's called. They were going to ask for their terrible taste back, but then thought better of it and instead asked for you to just trash it for them as quickly as possible. XD. Old grandma pants. Seriously.

With the cropped top thing - hasn't anyone figured out yet it just makes your tummy look bigger? Even when you're stick thin, it does. It also makes your boobs look small, and I dunno about you, but I like my girls and I want to give them attention. Give it up. It's not a good look.

With the t-shirts: it's a personal thing. I don't like t-shirts anymore. They too constricting. Feels like I'm being strangled. Urk! ugh. :P Also, I guess I'm just too old for those graphic tees now. Soooo.... juvenile! Gawd. ;) zomg-not-a-teenager-no-moar! Not too terribly disappointed bout that.

2) Lane Bryant

Lane Bryant is a more recent addition to my shopping experience. Went there a few times when I was younger, and thought "eeeew! Old lady clothes!" Which a lot of it still is, but there is some wonderful stuff to find there... mainly...

PANTS!!!

I'm big on the pants there. I got sick of Torrid's unflattering stuff (unflattering on me), and LOVE Lane Bryant's choices!!

I own:

and a pair of jeans that I couldn't find on their website XD They were clearance.

HOWEVER! One thing I dislike about Lane Bryant -- they assume if you're wide, you're tall. Both of these pants had to be hemmed. My mom did the hemming, and had to cut, literally, at least 6" from each pair, BEFORE folding in and hemming. Really, it has nothing to do with Lane Bryant - it would be this way even if I were stick thin and at Forever 21 or something. It's just what I get for being petite (they have petite-style pants, but I don't like their petite stuff very much... they'd probably need to be hemmed, too...)

Another problem, personally, with Lane Bryant is the prices there, mainly because I have no moneys... HOWEVER! Their clothes are quality, and they have amazing deals and specials to watch out for. Next to Lane Bryant, as well, is Cacique, their lingerie department, which is basically my entire panty-drawer now :D

3) Fashion Bug

Fashion Bug is definitely a great cheap alternative to the first two stores, and a younger alternative to Lane Bryant (I believe they're owned by the same company... it's 1am and I can't remember).

What I REALLY like about Fashion Bug, for me, is that it's not JUST plus sizes. They have misses and juniors too, which is wonderful. While my butt is big, I find myself having a hard time finding shirts that work for me, because in that realm, I'm an in-between: the smallest shirts at plus-sized stores often appear too big, while the biggest shirts at normal stores tend to be too small XD It's a curse. But at Fashion Bug, I can jump between sections! So, if you're a borderline like me, it's a great go! And if you're not a borderline like me, it's STILL awesome! It's also neat, because then you can go shopping with your not-alternatively-sized friends and neither of you will have to be annoyed having to stand around waiting for the other to try stuff on. XD I know how not fun that is...

4) Ross: Dress for Less

GASP! The cheap discount blah ew store? I list this here because the store has plus sizes (not the best selection, but they do!), and also aided me during the past two years of fashion identity crisis. I'm a broke college student, so a fashion identity crisis was a bit of a problem... XD I know their clothes are not the greatest, but it has been a great place to buy some cheap stuff I'm not sure about, and decide later if I want to go grander with it. I also like browsing Ross every so often when I need to satisfy my shopping craving, but don't have the bucks, and every so often, I find a gem! Also, the Ross near me is relatively nice. There are some awful ones out there - I advise going to the newest one you can find, if you're broke and questioning, like me.

That's what I got for now! To come: Stores I desperately want to check out, and possibly also stores I don't very much care for. :P Til then!

5 comments:

  1. personally I hate lane bryant. There clothes ussually look horrible. The pants are nice but the shirts aren't that great.

    Love torrid though, they actually do look good in all varieties except when they make stuff that no bigger girl should wear. If you dress your body in those skinny jeans you'll look bigger. It's just a matter of knowing what looks good on you.

    <3 your wifey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Torrid, but I don't like the ladies who work there (well, the ones in the Tucson Mall.) You'd think they would take the time to help out and help girls find clothes, but nope. All I ever see them do is stand around. And they aren't very friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I hate Spanx. They make me fatter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spanx does? Weeeird. Even Ellen Degeneres swears by that stuff (according to their commercial XD)

    And I don't have that big of a problem with the Torrid in the Tucson mall. They're friendly enough at first, and the fact that they're even like "Hey, need a dressing room? Need a bigger size in this, let me know, I'll stop by" is a FAR better contrast to most stores. "How many clothes? Okay, pick a room and figure it all out yourself, bitch." XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah! I was gonna wear them with a dress a few weeks ago, but it just didn't work out. I suppose the "apple" shapes don't work well with Spanx.

    ReplyDelete